The Toronto Amateur Radio Club is dedicated to serving the Amateur Radio (HAM) community and the general public in Toronto, ON and throughout the GTA.
Our members volunteer their time and enthusiasm at community events and participate in simulation exercises giving us valuable experience in preparing for emergency communication needs in the Greater Toronto Area.
Our meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month (except July and August). Guests … both hams and non-hams … are always welcome at any of our meetings!
The club operates under the call sign VE3TNC
What We Do
The Toronto Amateur Radio Club (TARC) is a club comprised of over 25 licensed Amateur Radio Operators who meet monthly to exchange ideas, improve their radio skills, organize activities that are of service to the area, promote the development of Amateur radio activities and join together in the mutual interest of Ham Radio.
Some of our club activities include:
- CANWARN: in cooperation with the National Weather Service, we provide severe weather spotting for Beltrami County and Northern Hubbard County. Many of our club members carry SKYWARN pagers to permit immediate activation of our storm spotter teams whenever severe weather threatens our area. Our spotters are in direct radio contact with local emergency officials and the National Weather Service.
- Providing radio communications support to local events (parades, marathons, etc.).
- Providing emergency radio communications support for local emergency response officials in the event of a local, county-wide, or state-wide emergency (tornado, flood, or other severe weather emergency; search for lost persons, community disaster, etc.)
- · Engaging in group ham activities, such as the annual amateur radio field day, contests, and special events.
- · Providing local amateur radio classes and license examinations to all persons interested in the amateur radio hobby.
- · Elmers: hams who help newly licensed hams get their radio stations on the air are called “elmers”. Our members are always willing to assist other hams with radio equipment selection, antenna selection and installation, and any other advise or assistance needed. We enjoy introducing people to our hobby and are willing to help in any way we can. Just ask!